Thursday, January 19, 2012

Yet another unexpected accident

After my last minor accident, i didn't face any fender bender in past 2 -3 years. But, last monday was the day for another accident.

I WAS AFRAID OF DOGS. But now, I HATE DOGS. Its a bright monday after Sankranthi festival. Expecting relative less traffic as it was a long weekend, i started to office expecting another routine day. I use my loyal bike for my daily commute to office. From my home, i have to pass by a construction site and some bushes to get on to the main road which takes me to jntu x roads. I was in 30-40kmph and suddenly a stray dog appeared from no where. The dog just ran out of the bushes crossing the road. It happened in a flash. I hit the dog. Though i applied both the breaks, i couldn't control the sudden impact to the front tyre and fell down to the right side. Probably due to the speed i was in, i fell down and the impact has thrown me away from the bike and we both were dragged to 5-6 feet. Before i realize what happened, my helmet came off and fell another 2-3 feet away. Luckily as that was a sub-lane, no other vehicles were behind me, otherwise, i would have certainly hit by them.

I generally wear helmet and gloves on my daily commute to office also. I have this one very good habit. I never miss to wear helmet atleast. It saved me this time. The impact left my helmet with a major crack and my gloves took the scratches. My jacket was torn on the right side and my cloths, shoes were shabby with dust. I tried to realize what has happened and then i had blood bleeding from my nose. Though the bleeding lasted for not more than 30 seconds, i thought, i'm gone. I didn't have any major physical injury except some scartches. For a accident of this intensity, i thank god for no fracture.

The bike laid there waiting for someone to get it up. At the first glance of the bike, i knew the damage was going to huge. I put it on stand for visual check up. The front head light visor, foot rest, mudgaurd, front break lever, right indicator was completely broken. Mudgaurd had a bend due to the drag. I tried to start the bike but it didn't. I peeked to see if there is any damage to the spark plug or engine bay. Then i noticed petrol leak. I turned off the petrol supply and walked my bike to my flat cellar.

My mistake was the speed i was driving in that sublane. When i was in my B.Tech at Kadapa, i heard of lot number of accidents due to these stray dogs. And now i faced one. I say to myself, "Reduce your speed". Anyways, after the bike repair, my wallet is lighter by 2500 bucks.

No comments: