Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vehicle Insurance

Its peak time 7:30PM. Obviously it is then you get to see some traffic police ACTIVE at the signals. If you have lived in india for a while now, you get what i meant by active. The CI or SI sitting beside on a bike or in a patrol vehicle and some constables trying to catch the terrorists. I mean the two wheelers. This is a regular scene you will get to see at major junctions or traffic points. These extra active constables makes sure to let go the autorickshaws or APSRTC buses, running autos etc leaving out huge cloud of black smoke. Its doesn't look like pollution to them. But they would certainly stop the two wheelers with full gear helmet, registration certificate, pollution check, insurance papers etc. What the f***...you guys? Is that what you are trained for? Is that what you are asked to do?


Last friday, i was on my way to home from work. I stopped at the red signal. I was in the first lane of the crowd. Just a moment and i felt a snatch of my bike keys. It was a traffic constable asking me to come aside. I understood its going to be Rs.100 or so bang to my wallet. I showed him all the required papers except the insurance. I never renewed my bike insurance after its expiry after the first year of purchase. Somehow i didn't see the need of it. I was sure. I thought its just waste of money and its true with most of the people. But a four wheeler should have a insurance. May be i am ignorant.


He insisted on the insurance. I lied. I said that the bike was sent to regular servicing and i missed to place it back in the kit after that. He was still looking at the traffic to see if he can get some more prey.


He: "300 fine"..in a dominant voice
Me: "Sir alaa kaadhu...choodandi plz",
He: "Peddha sir akkadey undu. Velli receipt thecchuko."
Me: "Choodandi sir"
He: "Insurance ledhu ga. Fine 300"


I was quitely looking at him. I know i dont have to plead him further. If something was serious he would have directly took me to the peddha sir. He gave me a glance and signalled me to come aside behind a parked vehicle. It's clear now.


I took out my wallet and pulled a Rs.50 note. He looked at my face, "Fine 300". I kept back the Rs.50 note and pulled out Rs.100 note. He gave back my keys and other paper. Woww!!! now i dont have to pay any fine. Rs.300 fine has vanished with a Rs.100.

Me: "Sir! Fine 300? Not required? :)"

He gave me a wierd shyful smile worth Rs.1000 and asked me to leave immediately.

I googled to see if really an insurance is mandatory and found this.
But, why on this earth motor insurance is mandatory? I dont see any logic behind it. Its my vehicle. I know the risk i am living with. I know the loss i have to bear if something nasty happens. But why do government insist on having an motor insurance? But again,  what is the point of making it mandatory? Can some one explain this please? Indeed the constable was true about the fine too. You can see it here.


What about medical insurance? health insurance? Are all these mandatory in india? I need to hit the google now.

No comments: